2G / 3G / 4G Network Coverage Survey
Providing all the functionality of RSI’s flagship Aries tool, Aries LTE now brings autonomous real time monitoring to LTE networks, using standard Android phones.
As with Aries TETRA, it is powerful, easy to use, and affordable, making it ideal for large users and network operators who require independent performance verification.
Real time results are viewed as easy to read maps, graphs and tables on any internet connected device using a standard browser, and it has the facility to send warnings by SMS and email to service engineers.
Aries LTE provides a picture of the network performance that is not available from standard network management logging. It takes failed calls and poor coverage areas into account to provide a true and independent measure of grade-of-service as perceived by the user.
Aries LTE probes can be used in vehicles or in the hand for walk-testing.
- Real-time monitoring of 2G/3G/4G network performance
- Low-cost software probes hosted on standard Android phones for hand held or vehicle use
- No technical knowledge required to operate the probe – can be used entirely autonomously
- Logs engineering parameters plus ping, data download/ upload rates, voice call and SMS
- Results uploaded from probe to server in real-time
- All results and analysis presented on secure web pages accessible from any browser
- Built-in powerful analysis functions for calculating high-level key performance indicators (KPI)
- Inherently scaleable design can easily manage 1000’s of probes
Aries LTE is an autonomous LTE network monitoring tool that provides real-time performance statistics. It consists of many low-cost probes based on standard Android phones as well as software that runs on a web server. As the probes travel across the network, data is sent from the probes back to a central web server so that a picture of network performance builds up. Results may be viewed in real-time as maps, graphs, tables and warnings using a secure password-protected web site available on any Internet connected PC using a standard browser.
Aries probes are deployed in vehicles or with pedestrians across the network service area. Each probe records the basic site parameters, such as signal level and serving base site, typically every 15m and initiates a data test typically every 10 minutes to avoid generating excessive traffic.
Results are sent back immediately from the probe to the central server using packet data. If the data service is not available then data is stored in the probe until it can be sent back.
The Aries central server software runs on almost any Web server with support for PHP and MySQL database. Users may run the application on their existing server or on dedicated server hardware supplied by RSI or on RSI’s own server if desired.
Aries LTE App
- Compatible with any Android mobile phone running Android V4.0 or later
- Parameters logged depend on specific mobile phone but the following are logged for HTC One M8: 2G: LAC, Cell ID, RxLev, RxQual, Neighbour cells
- 3G: LAC, Cell ID, Node, PSC, RSCP, Neighbour cells
- 4G: TAC, Cell ID, Node, PCI, RSRP, RSRQ, LTE RSSI, SNR, Neighbour cells
- Data Mode: e.g. GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA, HSPA+, LTE
- Parameters logged every 15m distance (configurable)
- Location uses phone’s internal GPS receiver
- Auto Indoor mode interpolates samples on line between known good GPS points when GPS sync is lost
- Samples reported back to the Aries server every 60secs (configurable)
- In the event of no network data, samples are held in memory until they can be sent back
- App runs in the background taking low CPU and memory resources. Other applications may be used at the same time as the Aries App.
- App keeps display on to ensure logging is not interrupted
- Configurable test call sequence: Ping test: logs Min, Avg and Max Ping times
- Data upload test: logs data rate in kbps over 5secs (configurable)
- Data download test: logs data rate in kbps over 5secs (configurable)
- Voice call test: logs successful, blocked and dropped calls
- SMS test: logs successfully delivered SMS
Aries LTE Server
- Runs on dedicated server at customer premises or secure and private access to RSI’s servers is available
- Capable of supporting 1000’s of probes limited by server resources
- Capable of supporting 100’s of users logged in simultaneously limited by server resources
- Application enforces password complexity and expiry rules
- Different level of user account provide different levels of access and functionality
- All Data is logged in a MySQL database. A user-friendly interface is provided to allow the following methods of selecting data for analysis: Filter by Data, Filter by Probe, Filter by Base Site, Filter by Area, Filter by Event Type, Filter by parameter value
- Analysis may be done using maps, graphs, tables, KPI
- A base site database is included allowing display of base site icons on the map
- Map icons may be coloured by: Speed, Altitude, LAC/TAC, Cell ID, Node, PSC/PCI, RxLev/RSCP/RSRP, RxQual/EcNo/RSRQ, LTERSSI, SNR, CQI, Operator, Network Type, Data Mode, Ping Time Min/Avg/Max, UL Data Rate, DL Data Rate
- Map Square KM analysis mode, calculates performance statistics for each square km and colours them Pass/Fail
- Maps include support for data from Google Maps, Google Satellite, Google Terrain, Open Street Map
- Maps can be exported to kmz format for use in Google Earh
- Graph ‘Values’ mode: X Axis=Time; Y Axis= RxLev/RSCP/RSRP, RxQual/EcNo/RSRQ, LTERSSI, SNR, CQI, Ping Time Min/Avg/Max, UL Data Rate, DL Data Rate, Speed
- Graph ’Summary’ mode: X Axis= Time, Time of Day, Base Site, Probe ID, Network Operator, Network Type, Data Mode; Y Axis= RxLev/RSCP/RSRP Min/Avg/Max, All Events Total, UL Data Min/Avg/Max, DL Data Min/Avg/Max, Ping Time Min/Avg/Max
- KPI Analysis: KPIs may be grouped for comparison by: Network Operator, Network Type, Data Mode, Area, Date/Time Range; available KPI’s: Signal Level, Call Success, Calls Blocked, Calls Dropped, SMS Success, No Service, Network Type, Data Mode, UL Data Rate, DL Data Rate, Data Fail
- Polygons in kml format may be uploaded to be used as Areas in the analysis
- Warnings are sent by SMS and email when key parameters or KPIs exceed preset thresholds